Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jamming a spork into your leg

Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog Act II went live tonight. I've now watched it a few times. I love the creativity in the music and the dialog is great. This act had one line that lacked the subtlety I tend to look for in good innuendo and double-entendre. If you watched it I'm sure you know to what line I refer. There used to be a time (and it really wasn't that long ago) that the humor was even funnier if there was a possibility that someone might not have gotten the joke. I know the intent here was to show Captain Hammer is a tad slow in the thought department. I got the humor; I just didn't find it as funny as I might have had he, say, tried to explain what he meant without actually coming out and saying it.

There is so much subtle humor happening in Dr. Horrible's sing-along blog, (watch the server in the soup kitchen for an example) that one line seemed almost out of place. I'm not what anyone would call a prude. My mind is usually the first to identify the "alternate meaning" of many conversational phrases; it's required years of training to keep them from being blurted out. When I do say something, I try to make it subtle so that the person who said the phrase has to think about why I would say such a thing in response. Usually something above the ever popular "That's what she said." I guess that's probably the reason why that one line just stood out to me; it was like using a pile-driver when an ordinary hammer would do.

Edit note: The videos of Act I, II, and III are no longer available to watch for free on-line. That was a temporary convenience for fans. You can download it from iTunes or wait for the DVD to come out.

3 comments:

marky said...

I get what you mean. Hammer should have maybe looked down, followed by an uncomfortable silence.

I am loving the dude from The big bang theory as moistman and the random cowboy singers. All very funny.

I think i'll go to the shops now and replace all my cutlery with sporks. they seem rather handy.

Megan said...

You'll be proud of us Rusty--Trevor and I DID watch it (after a reminder from Gabe) and loved it. And yes, I know exactly what line you mean. Kinda shocked me too. But the spork was good. And thank you for that explanation of your humor--I feel like I know you so much better now...No wonder i never understand anything you say...

genkiboy said...

"like using a pile-driver when an ordinary hammer would do." lol

i think the idea was to show hammer not as being dumb -- obviously we'd all got that -- but as being alien to the whedonverse.

shrug